Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chase the Cow

Life here on earth is so busy. . . and getting more so as the days approach Christmas. I just need to write lists and do what is needed for the day and find a way to enjoy the time as well. . . I can't get so caught up that I don't enjoy the life I'm living . . . (strange to say, but oh so true. . . ) I'll give you an example . . . Yesterday, I was running a bunch of errands which included a fun trip to the mall for me and Lydia or so I thought. She got to release energy at the "play area", watch a Madeline show in Gymboree, ride escalators & elevators, visit two bathrooms, and eat Chinese food at the tiny kids' table with both of us sitting on small little chairs and sharing both rice and noodles. . . . however, when everything was said and done and we got to the car I  realized it was 1:15 much later than I thought. A promise to play games when we returned from the mall did not seem feasible. Tears broke out when I told her we could not play a game at home. It was too close to naptime I said to her. In my adult mind, I thought she was talking about a board game of some sort and just felt that it would take too much time. The outpouring of tears had quite an effect on me . . . and I asked my precious three year old what game she wanted to play. She replied with these three words, "Chase the Cow". I thought to myself, "I've never heard of this game" and then I proceeded to ask her how to play. When she explained that she would be the cow and I'd be the horse and I just chase her, my heart melted. I told her that we would find time to play and I said that I'd love to try this new game. We ended up playing outside for about five minutes when we came home from the mall and it was perhaps the best time I've had in days. I ran around the front yard chasing her with such joy and reckless abandon. When I tagged her, I scooped her up and tickled her. We just laughed and laughed. Then, we switched roles and she chased me. After a couple of rounds of this simple, yet perfect little game of glorified tag, she was satisfied and oh so happy. The lessons I learn from her are so invaluable. "Chase the Cow" is now quite simply three words for me that remind me to say "yes" and to live in the moment. . . because if I don't . . . I know for sure I will regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment